close
close

No increase in lithium-ion battery fires in Edmonton: EFRS

The Edmonton Fire Service (EFRS) says it has not seen an increase in fires related to lithium-ion batteries, but continues to encourage Edmontonians not to overcharge their devices.

The advice was issued after the Montreal Fire Department warned residents not to charge their phones at night.

A spokesperson for the Montreal Fire Department told CTV News there will be 40 lithium-ion battery-related fires in 2024, up from seven three years ago.

“It’s an emerging risk that we’re really starting to deal with,” Matthew Griffith of the Montreal Fire Department told CTV News Montreal.

“The battery self-deprecates and it just keeps burning until all the cells in the battery burn out,” he said. “The reaction is quite violent and quick.”

EFRS says it has dealt with three lithium-ion battery fires this year, 14 in 2023, nine in 2022 and seven in 2021.

“Lithium-ion batteries power many of our everyday devices, but they can pose a significant fire risk if not handled and stored safely,” an EFRS spokesperson said in an email to CTV News Edmonton.

“It is crucial to monitor the charging of the batteries and unplug them once they are fully charged. This prevents overcharging, which can lead to overheating and fire.”

Other tips for preventing fires related to lithium-ion batteries are to avoid using damaged chargers, defective batteries, or using incompatible chargers, storing batteries in a cold environment away from flammable materials, and not attempting to disassemble or puncture lithium-ion batteries.

Fire Safety Week runs from October 6 to 12.

Last month, the city launched an educational campaign aimed at making residents aware of the dangers of improper disposal of lithium-ion batteries


With files from CTV News Montreal